Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all. Thanks to winter break, I am now a blogger that lives in his parents’ basement, but no worries! I shall return to busting this stereotype within the first week of January.
This may seem a little odd, but I do have some milestones that I would like to reach as a blogger. I didn’t necessarily have these when I first started, but I’ve thought of these as I’ve made some progression over these first couple months. The main reason for this post is because I’m pleased to announce that I will be added to John Bonnes’ (Twins Geek) GameDay in the near future. This website is a collection of blogs and news for all of the four major Minnesota sports teams, so with its links to numerous Star Tribune news, it’s essentially a one-stop place for all the news and opinions you could ever want.
Now, onto the milestones. Everyone has goals, and of course I have my own goals for Off The Mark and myself as a blogger. I’m making these up as I type them, but they are all certainly true. Those in bold have already been done, and the italicized is what I still want to accomplish.
1. Buy my own domain so I can change the name to just “http://offthemark.com”. This is what I wanted at the beginning, but it turns out that someone else on WordPress already has that domain name.* I don’t know why, but “weareoffthemark” was the first alternate that popped into my head…maybe because then it gave me a reason to ask other people to guest post whenever necessary. It would also be nice to remove that dreaded “wordpress” from the domain.
* It would be one thing if the user was actually using that blog. But if you click on the link, you’ll notice the activity on that Off the Mark is dormant! In fact, there is one link on the blogroll and not even a single post! WordPress, fix this travesty! Maybe I need to contact someone so I can get this preferred domain, but I think I can’t change my domain at the moment….
2. Have Off The Mark added to someone else’s blogroll without asking. Thanks for Topper Anton from Curve For A Strike, Jack Steal from Fanatic Jack Talks Twins, Erin from Plunking Gomez Picked Off At First, the guys at Alright Hamilton!, and now John Bonnes on GameDay for adding me. I’m also featured on Seth Speaks and Nick’s Twins Blog, but I requested for them to add this blog to help get me some early publicity when I first started.
3. Have someone else post a link to one of my posts: This has happened twice, first with a website dedicated to Jesse Crain linking to my non-tender deadline post that distinctly leaned towards discussing Crain, and just a few days ago when my girlfriend’s brother/my friend Josh linked to my recent Hot Zones post on Facebook.
4. Consistently have discussions held in the comments section of my posts. This one will be a bit tougher to accomplish, but I think in a year or more I’ll be able to accomplish this goal.
5. Similarly, have a comment left on one of my posts that is completely uneducated, aggressive, or flat-out wrong. Something similar to this comment, except a little more aggravating. It’s weird, but this would be one of those things that makes me feel that this blog is finally “popular.” I’m not looking for the level of La Velle E. Neal’s blog, but an occasional defending of sabermetrics here would be interesting (TT of Granny Baseball or deliberately leaving a comment like this just to spite me does not count).
I probably could or will add to this list later. I encourage you to appreciate this excessive amount of snow being dumped on Minnesota by throwing at least 2 snowballs at your spouse, sibling, or squirrel tomorrow…and if you receive any complaints, just say that you’re fair game as well. Lastly, since it is Christmas, I’m going to leave a link to one of my first posts, which I think you will find appropriately named. Have a great Christmas or winter break to all of you!